We'll let you into a little secret - our favorite way to enjoy matcha has to be a latte. It's the perfect way to get your daily dose of matcha and is tasty to boot.
Our organic matcha contains ten times the antioxidants than a normal cup of green tea and only half the caffeine of coffee. It also contains a special amino acid, L-theanine, which works with matcha’s natural caffeine to give a steady release of energy throughout the day – unlike the rapid energy burst and inevitable crash of a coffee high. This is why Buddhist monks have used matcha as a source of calm, focused energy during meditation for hundreds of years.
We LOVE the fact that more and more cafes are now serving up amazing matcha lattes - and they're super simple to recreate at home.
How to make the perfect matcha latte in 3 easy steps
- 1. First things first, get your matcha paste on. Using a hand held whisk, whizz up 1g matcha (that's half a teaspoon, or one sachet) with a splash of hot water or hot milk - remember, you want just shy of boiling or else you'll scald the matcha! Grab the kettle a minute or two after the water's boiled to be safe.
- 2. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg, as well as a squeeze of agave syrup, if you're feeling a little fancy.
- 3. Top with hot frothy milk - if you don’t have a steamer on a big fancy coffee machine at your disposal, then a microwave and whisk will do the job! Fancy latte art optional, but encouraged!
And there you have it - a perfect matcha latte!
Feel free to swap the ingredients around to make this work for your taste buds. Regular dairy milk works well, though we think almond or oat milks are the real winners in this situation - but it's barista's choice! Coconut milk, rice milk and other nut milks are are all awesome dairy free options too. Bonus points if it's homemade...!
Not keen on agave syrup? Try infusing your milk with a vanilla pod or use sugar/coconut sugar/maple syrup to sweeten instead – there are lots of tweaks you can make to create your perfect matcha latte!
And for the ultimate upgrade - did we mention we do flavored matchas so you can up your game without even trying!? Check out the matcha shop here
Show off your latte art by tagging us @teapigsus!
Fancy a little more inspiration?
- Check out our recipe for an incredible chocolate layer cake with matcha icing
- Want something a little more refreshing? Try our matcha lemonade & matcha mint iced teas
- Or for a simpler treat - how about matcha yoghurt ice lollies!